Many people say winter is not the ideal time for selling a home. Snow, ice, and low temperatures can pose a challenge for sellers and buyers. But according to experienced realtor Ed Constable, you can still make the most of the snowy season and get a higher price offer on your home. Don’t let the cold and stormy weather keep you from putting your home on the market.
You can make your home stand out to home buyers in a challenging season like winter by adjusting some strategy to keep buyers interested. You can use the following tips below to help you make your home look extra appealing this winter.
Make it Warm and Cozy:
- Warm and cozy is key when preparing a home for showings. Try adding some warmth to your home with appropriate accessories. Set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature to give the potential buyer more reason to linger, especially on a cold day.
- Winter days can be quite dim, so be sure that every light is on to make your home look its best. Rooms look best when they are well lit.
- Light the fireplace before an open house or right before a showing, but open the damper and don’t leave it unattended.
- If you have an old wood-burning fireplace and leaves a smoky smell in the room do not use it. Home buyers with allergies or smoke sensitive can be turned off –or literally away. By creating a warm and cozy home atmosphere, buyers will feel your home was very inviting.
Keep Entryways and Pathways Clutter-Free and Clean:
- A clutter-free and clean home will sell more easily than one with more visible clutter.
- Be sure your entryways and pathways are well cleared. If your home is difficult to get through because of snow and ice, potential buyers will be turned off. It will give the impression your home isn’t well maintained and safe.
- Clean your home thoroughly, get rid of clutter and continually shovel your driveways and walks and entrances, especially if snowflakes are still falling
- Place a rubber mat inside the door to hold the shoes so the snow and water is not tracked through the house. Putting a container to hold wet umbrellas by the door also is not a bad idea.
Show off your Home’s Summer or Spring Potential:
- When the weather outside is cold and stormy, home buyers are likely to start their home hunting by browsing listings on the internet. Get a good first impression by offering lots of high-quality photos of your home in various seasons.
- Have a good shot of your outdoor spaces, show off your landscaping or curb appeal as the winter weather won’t do them justice and home buyers can see how it looks year-round.
Work with a Reliable Real Estate Agent:
- Ask friends and family if they can recommend a real estate agent who will go above and beyond to get your home sold.
- It is a good idea to work with a reliable agent to see how you can make the most of selling a home in the winter.
- Realtors are experienced with selling homes in any season, and may have some additional tips that can address any specific situation.
- This will also ease your stress and give you and your family more time to enjoy the winter season.
List Your Home at the Right Price
- One of the most important factor to consider when selling a home during winter season is pricing it correctly; it is setting the absolute right price.
- Winter season brings special pricing consideration. Unlike in summer or spring, when there are more home buyers and it may make sense to price a home low to try to generate an offer.
- When listing your home. It is a good idea to check out what similar properties in your area are selling, that way you can set an appropriate asking price.
- If there are fewer homes on the market, you will have less competition and take this as your advantage. But if you’re setting a higher asking price, you could scare away a potential buyer and help the homes that are priced competitively sell while yours sits around.
Although selling a home during the winter season can be a bit more challenging and complicated. If you follow these simple steps, it is possible to have a successful home sale. By looking at your home from a home buyer’s view, you can simply highlight your homes assets and help it sell quickly.
Call me today and have me work for you. You will be thankful that you did!
Your Realtor for LIFE
Do you want your home shopping experience to be made easy?