Moving to a new home is definitely a very difficult process. That is why you should carefully plan your every step through the way to avoid terrible hassles that you can simply avoid. This can help you have a quite smoother moving process as well, and can even help you through the first few days in your New Home.
What are the Vital Points to Remember in Moving to a New Home?
You can divide the important points you should take the note into three parts which are before, during and after the moving process. This is to help you deal with specific things and problems through each of them.
Before You Move
- Always look for a reliable mover. If you think you can do it by yourself with some friends for a beer and pizza, think again. You will certainly end up moving more things than you expect! Moreover, make sure to hire movers with excellent insurance policies to avoid liabilities, and for them to easily cover damages and loss.
- Get rid of things that you do not use anymore. For instance, if you have two blenders and you are not using the other anymore, consider selling it up. You can organize a garage sale for this, throw away stuff that is totally unusable, or give away things that other people might need.
- Carefully organize your things in It is highly suggested to organize boxes per rooms as well. You can use color coding if you want to. This is for you to have an easier time of pulling them out when you reach your New Home. Of course, make sure to use adhesive tapes and cords to keep things in place like your drawers. This can help minimize or even totally avoid damages through the process.
- Do not forget to inform the utility companies that you are already moving out. Just make sure to keep the most vital utilities up until your moving day.
- If you have pets or plants that you want to move with you, you might be needing to get some documentation and permits beforehand. Know about your origin and destination state’s legislation regarding this.
During the Moving Day
- Remember to keep a good amount of cash with you. This is for you to have money for food and other expenses through the process.
- Work with the movers, or monitor them at least. Inform them about important reminders like those that concerns about your sentimental glassware.
- Before you leave the house, make sure everything is off. Do not leave a single lightbulb on. Moreover, do a final check to make sure nothing is left.
- It is best to plan your unpacking process ahead. For instance, it is recommended for you to start setting up your kitchen first, for you to avoid having bigger expenses on pizzas and fast food. Then you can plan about the bedrooms afterward.
- Consider letting each family member unpack their own boxes. This is to help them personalize their own rooms or areas in the house.
- Finally, do not rush things too much. It is totally normal to take for few days or even a week to complete your unpacking process. Take your time, for you to make sure that everything is properly done and you do not forget anything.
Those are just a few of the big points you should always keep in mind throughout your moving process. Although it is still a rough road for you to take, at least you can make good steps to make it quite easier for everyone.
Image Source: Freepik
Call me today and have my team work for you. You will be thankful that you did!
Your Realtor for LIFE
Do you want your home selling experience to be made easy?
Ed Constable is a top Realtor in Fenton, MI, and surrounding areas!