You love your pets because they are members of your family. Needless to say, you do not want them to be harmed in any way. Thus, you should keep your pet’s safety through the winter months, and do some preparations for it. Of course, winter could go unbearably cold and you can feel it; your dogs and cats are feeling the same as well.
How to Keep Your Pets Safety through the Cold Season?
You should remember a few vital points in keeping your pet’s safe all throughout the winter. This is to avoid sickness and any harm to reach them, especially those which are caused by the cold weather. To help you up, here are the points you should keep in mind.
Provide Enough Protection for Your Pets
- First and foremost, you should provide enough protection for your pets against the cold weather. To begin with, let their fur grow during winter. That could act as an additional protection for them. However, trim it from time to time to help it avoid acquiring snowballs.
If your pet has relatively shorter fur, you can buy special jackets and turtlenecks for them. You can also have pairs of booties to protect their feet, especially on outdoor walks.
- You should groom your pets properly. Avoid taking your pets a bath every so often. That could wash away natural oils that could act as an additional protection against cold. Also make sure to remove snowballs between their toes, and wipe their feet with towels to remove melting chemicals that your pet could have stepped upon.
- If you want to take your pets on outdoor walks, apply petroleum jelly or special oils on their paws. You can also have them wear booties. That could help in preventing their feet to become dry and flakey, which could be very uncomfortable for them. Moreover, that could also protect them from the sheer cold of the ground.
Do not forget to have them leashed when outdoors as well. This is for you to have better control over them, and help them avoid dangerous spots like an iced lake. In addition, some pet safety stuff like reflective wearables and microchips are also available.
Tweak Your House a Bit
- You should also do some tweaks in your house to make sure of your pets’ comfortability. You can start by providing a cozy and warm spot for them to rest and stay. You can set up a bed for them, and throw in few pillows. Also, make sure it is quite elevated away from the floor.
- Make sure to keep your humidifier on a good condition as well. Remember that it is not just your heating system that should do the job of making your house comfortable for you, your family and your pets. Humidifiers can keep enough humidity level in your home, thus help in preventing the air to become dry.
That could help a lot for your pets to breathe easily. It can also add to your house’ warmth as well. Moreover, make sure to use the right ice melted that would not cause any harm to your pets, especially when they accidentally ingest the substance.
- Finally, if you notice anything wrong with your pets, bring him to the vet immediately. Needless to say, that could help you to make sure of his welfare and health condition.
These are important points you should remember in winter for your pet safety and welfare. You do not want the winter cold and some other stuff that goes with it to harm your pets. Thus, keep these precautions in mind, for the safety of your beloved pets.
Image Source: Freepik
Call me today and have my team work for you. You will be thankful that you did!
Your Realtor for LIFE
Do you want your home selling experience to be made easy?
Ed Constable is a top Realtor in Fenton, MI, and surrounding areas!