The Village of Gaines has a total land area of 0.37 square miles (0.96 km2). It was settled in 1814 when the land was found to be one of the richest agricultural tracts in the area. To this day, it is still considered one of the best in the county. In 1846, the area was officially organized under the name of Gaines.
According to the 2010 census, Gaines is made up of 154 households. The report found:
- 33.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them
- 50.0% were married couples living together
- 7.8% had a female with no husband present
- 5.8% had a male householder with no wife present
- 36.4% were non-families
- 31.8% of all households were made up of individuals
- 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.09. The median age in the village was 38.5 years. 26.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.5% were from 25 to 44; 28% were from 45 to 64, and 12.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 50.3% male and 49.7% female.
The beautiful landscape of this township has led to outstanding parks and recreational opportunities that will enhance the quality of life for all of its residents. The main parks include:
Prairie Wolf Park
Located on 45 acres Prairie Wolf Park is accessible all year long for summer and winter activities. In the summer you can enjoy the walking trails and in the winter those same trails can be used for cross country skiing.
Kent County Parks
- Creekside Park- Creekside park offers the space to explore and the room to host a number of events or activities within its 32 acres. Within the park there are hiking and walking trails, playgrounds, trailhead for the Fred Meijer M-6 trail, and much more.
- Dutton Shadyside Park- This park is the perfect place to host birthday parties, family reunions, or a quiet afternoon picnic. Like it’s name implies there is an abundance of natural shade throughout the park and many spots where you can sit and relax. There is also a playground and a ball diamond available in the park for the public. The park is open from May 1st to October 31st.
- Brewer Park- Located on 95.6 acres of land, Brewer Park is a large recreational sports park that offers a little bit of everything. Within the park there are soccer fields, tennis courts, a ball diamond, basketball, volleyball, a cricket pitch, a playground, and picnic areas. Brewer Park is also home to one of the oldest disc golf courses in the area that offers a 36 hole course. There is also a quarter mile trail that explores the wooded portion of the park. The park is open May 1st through October 31st.
If you want to grab one of the Top 10 Burgers in Michigan, the Gaines Bar would be a place to stop to get a bite! Their award-winning burger hits the spot every time. Gaines is also home the to the Barons Motor Cycle Club. Gaines Charter Township is a great place to live, work, farm, and play.
120 lord street was recently updated by a local real estate investor, now has a new business called, The Toddler Tree House, another great reason to live in Gaines is that they have some of the best pizza in the county and now also sells chicken wings
If you want to buy or sell a home or farm in Gaines, contact top realtor Ed Constable. He was raised in Gaines and knows this great community!
Interested in owning one of the homes for sale in Gaines, MI?
Ed Constable has set up a few searches of available properties and homes for sale in Gaines for you below. Feel free to contact him for your own custom search with automatic updates when a property that fits your needs hits the market!
- All Homes for Sale in Gaines
- Land for Sale in Gaines
- Commercial Properties for Sale in Gaines
- Homes for Sale in Gaines Under 100k
- Homes for Sale in Gaines Over 100k
Selling your property is a big decision.
When you choose to work with Ed…
- You’re getting an agent who uses the best tools and technology to sell your property for the most amount of money in the least amount of time.
- You’re getting transparency and communication throughout the entire process, so you know every detail is taken care of.
- Ed and his team have created a customized marking strategy to target where buyers are looking – both online and in person. Plus, we make listings shine with professional photography and a great description.